We all know the importance of sunscreen. Everyone needs sunscreen to protect their skin from the harmful UV rays from the sun. The sun's rays can cause sunburns, wrinkles and skin cancer.
With skin cancer rates are on the rise, we're breaking down five sun safe sunscreen tips to practice throughout the year.
1. Apply 15-20 minutes before going outside.
This will allow the sunscreen to create a protective layer on the skin.
2. Reapply your sunscreen every two hours.
This is so important! Further reapplication is necessary if you are sweating or swimming.
3. Make sure you're applying the right amount of sunscreen.
The Skin Cancer foundations say 1 ounce (about a shot glass full) is the standard amount to ensure you properly covered the body.
4. Throw out your bottle if it's expired.
Sunscreens typically last 2-3 years. Check your bottle to make sure you're using an up-to-date sunscreen.
5. Sunscreen can't be your only form of sun protection.
Wear a hat, seek shade when possible and opt for UPF clothing.