May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States, accounting for over 5 million cases each year. Fortunately, this type of skin cancer is very preventable.
The American Cancer Society has estimated the number of melanoma cases in the United States for 2018:
- About 91,270 new melanomas will be diagnosed (about 55,150 in men and 36,120 in women).
- About 9,320 people are expected to die of melanoma (about 5,990 men and 3,330 women).
Want to know exactly HOW to stay sun protected this summer? Here are our top four tips:
- Wear sunscreen: This is an obvious one. Apply after cleansing and before makeup about 15 minutes before going outside.
- Reapply: This is forgotten by most people. Apply your sunscreen every two hours.
- Wear protective attire: This includes hats, UV protected clothing and sunglasses.
- Stay out of the sun: Make sure to seek shade when possible!
Source: The American Cancer Society